How to join the UN Global Compact
As a voluntary initiative, the UN Global Compact seeks wide participation from a diverse group of businesses and other organisations. To participate in the UN Global Compact, an organisation must prepare a Letter of Commitment from the Chief Executive Officer (and endorsed by the board) to the UN Secretary-General expressing support for the UN Global Compact and its principles.
The UN Global Compact provides templates that organisations may use for this letter:
The organisation must then complete the Online Application Form and upload a digital copy of the Letter of Commitment:
As part of this process, organisations are required to choose their Engagement Tier: Participant or Signatory. The difference between them is explained here.
Once a Participant or Signatory of the UN Global Compact, organisations are expected to:
- set in motion changes to their operations in accordance to the UN Global Compact and its 10 principles;
- seek ways to contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs);
- publish an annual Communication on Progress (COP) that describes the ways in which the business supports the Global Compact and its 10 principles as well as the SDGs (COE for non-businesses);
- publicly advocate the UN Global Compact and its 10 principles via communications vehicles such as press releases, speeches, etc.
How to join the UN Global Compact Network UK
Only UN Global Compact Participants and Signatories at the global level are eligible to join the UN Global Compact Network UK (see above).
Upon becoming a UN Global Compact Participant or Signatory, UK Network membership is either automatically included or optional.
UK Network membership is automatically included and without any additional fees for:
- All UNGC Participants.
- UNGC Business Signatories with above $50million annual turnover.
UK Network membership is optional and subject to a UK Network fee for:
- UNGC Business Signatories with below $50million annual turnover.
- Subsidiaries of companies that pay the required annual contribution in another country.
- UNGC Non-Business Signatories.
For more details, including fees, please click here.
If your UK Network membership is automatically included, please send us the following information at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Full contact details for the day-to-day contact(s) in the organisation;
- Names and email addresses for anyone in your organisation that you would like to receive our monthly newsletter;
- Short description of your organisation (50 words) and your logo;
- Permission (or not) to announce your membership on our website, newsletter and twitter.
If your UK Network membership is not automatically included and you would like to join, please contact us at email@example.com. We will ask you to provide the same information + your invoicing address.