Date of event: 2 May 2017
Location: Manchester Metropolitan University.
Number of attendees: 30
By attending Making Global Goals Local Business – Manchester participants were able to develop an understanding of:
- What the Global Goals are;
- Why should businesses care about them;
- How can business contribute to achieving the Goals and benefit from doing so.
The Global Goals are going to transform our world and that transformation will create opportunities for new business models to deliver new products and services into new markets. After the largest public consultation ever undertaken, the Goals were adopted by the UK and the other 192 Member States of the United Nations in September 2015. They call for economic growth, innovation, affordable energy, and upgraded infrastructure – and provide a path to end extreme poverty, fight inequality, and protect the planet. Every company (and every citizen) needs to understand this important global mega-trend!
After an introduction to the Global Goals from the UN Global Compact Network UK, Dr Jack Christian, Senior Lecturer of Manchester Metropolitan University, presented the work done by the University on the Goals. The event continued with a keynote speech from Marshalls plc and a panel discussion where participants could interact with the speakers and express their views on the Goals.
The speakers at this event were:
- Steve Kenzie, Executive Director, UN Global Compact Network UK
- Professor Chris Pyke, Associate Dean, Manchester Metropolitan University
- Dr Jack Christian, Senior Lecturer, Manchester Metropolitan University
- Chris Harrop, Group Head of Marketing, Marshalls plc
- Angela Gaskell, Head of Sourcing, N Brown Group
- To download the slides of the event, please click here.
- More information on the Global Goals can be found here.
For further information please contact the UK Network Secretariat: firstname.lastname@example.org
This SDG Roadshow event was supported by: