Target Gender Equality
Set and reach ambitious corporate targets for women’s representation and leadership in business
Why your company should join
Target Gender Equality is a gender equality accelerator programme for participating companies of the UN Global Compact. Through facilitated performance analysis, capacity building workshops, peer-to-peer learning and multi-stakeholder dialogue at the country-level, Target Gender Equality will support companies engaged with the UN Global Compact in setting and reaching ambitious corporate targets for women’s representation and leadership, starting with the Board and Executive Management levels.
Companies participating in Target Gender Equality have the opportunity to deepen the implementation of the Women’s Empowerment Principles and strengthen their contribution to Sustainable Development Goal 5.5, which calls for equal women's representation, participation and leadership in business globally. Companies will be equipped with the latest data and research supporting the business case for gender equality and gain insights from UN partners and experts on how to accelerate progress on gender equality.
- Confidently set ambitious and realistic corporate targets for gender equality demonstrating commitment and action to your employees, investors and other stakeholders
- Understand your current gender equality performance through the facilitated use of the Women’s Empowerment Principles Gender Gap Analysis Tool
- Engage in accelerated learning opportunities specific to your country context
- Build a network of peers, UN partners and experts to support your gender equality strategy and work collectively to tackle persistent barriers to gender equality
- Showcase women in your company who are driving business success, sustainability and contributions to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING?
The UN Global Compact Network UK is delighted to announce our participation in Target Gender Equality.
Our programme will be running from July 2021 – March 2022. You can sign up for the programme here.
Upon signing up, a member of the UK Network Secretariat will be in touch shortly.
- A business Participant or Signatory of the UN Global Compact
- Currently engaged with the UN Global Compact Network UK or willing to join
- Committed to strengthening corporate target setting and action to increase women’s representation and leadership in business
- Willing to appoint two representatives to participate in programme activities and events and an executive-level “Ambassador” to follow programme developments, provide support and participate in high-level events
COST OF JOINING
16 March 2021 – 30 June 2021
Target Gender Equality Global Coalition
The Target Gender Equality Global Coalition brings together expert organisations that are committed to advancing women’s business leadership to support the roll out of Target Gender Equality across the globe and help amplify the call for ambitious corporate target setting for women’s representation and leadership in business.
Upcoming Target Gender Equality events
Target Gender Equality Action Dialogue
30 March, 11:30-13:00 BST
In this high-level policy dialogue at UK Network’s Business and Human Rights Summit, participants will look back at the first edition of Target Gender Equality in the UK, discuss forward-looking steps and ambitious corporate targets that companies are setting to advance women’s representation and leadership in business, and foster discussions and partnerships on gender equality between relevant stakeholders.
Introduction to Target Gender Equality
29 April, 14:00-15:00 BST
This meeting will provide UN Global Compact Network UK members interested in joining Target Gender Equality in 2021/2022 with the following information:
- Overview of goals, expected outcomes, and benefits of joining Target Gender Equality;
- Target Gender Equality UK programme timeline and required/optional activities;
- Insights about the programme from a Target Gender Equality
- Representative from the 2020/2021 cohort;
- Information on how to apply and details on the selection/joining process.
*Please note that this meeting is for UK Network members only. If you wish to learn more about how to join the UK Network, please click here.
Women’s Empowerment Principles
The Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs) are a set of Principles established by the UN Global Compact and UN Women, offering guidance to business on how to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment in the workplace, marketplace and community. Sign the WEPs now and demonstrate your company’s commitment to gender equality.
Take the Women’s Empowerment Principles Gender Gap Analysis Tool (WEPs Tool) today to assess your company's strategic approach to gender equality and identify gaps and opportunities for continuous improvement.
Gender Equality: How Business Can Accelerate the Pace of Change
Access the new (and free) UN Global Compact Academy E-learning Course on Gender Equality to learn why gender equality and women’s empowerment is a prerequisite to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals, how your company can contribute to the achievement of SDG 5, learn about concrete steps that your business can take to mainstream gender equality into strategy and operations, and more.
COVID-19 Impact Brief: Gender Equality
Across every sphere — from health to the economy, security to social protection — the impacts of the COVID-19 crisis are disproportionately affecting women. Read this brief to learn more.
Target Gender Equality COVID-19 quiz
Is your company's response to COVID-19 gender-responsive? This 10-question quiz is developed to help draw attention to the questions business should consider and actions that business can take to ensure a gender-sensitive and gender-inclusive response to COVID-19.
Top 3 Tips for Women in Business (From Women in Business)
As part of the Target Gender Equality Lounge at Uniting Business LIVE in 2020, the UK Network organised a live session with guest speakers Kerry Phillip (Legal Director, Vodafone Business) and Kate Rowlinson (CEO, MediaCom). This event focussed on the best advice for women in business from successful businesswomen from Target Gender Equality-participating companies. You can watch the recording here.
Applying a gender lens to the COVID-19 crisis: evidence from the UK
Interested in learning more about what the evidence from the Target Gender Equality COVID-19 Quiz shows for UK-based companies? Read our article to find out and learn more about how your company can respond to the COVID-19 crisis in a gender-sensitive way.
Interview: People, Markets, Society | Q&A with Ann Cairns, Global Chair, 30% Club
On 18th November 2020, the UK Network hosted a special Q&A event with Ann Cairns, Global Chair and UK Lead at the 30% Club and Executive Vice Chair at Mastercard, organised exclusively for Target Gender Equality UK participants. This report summarises the main points of discussion from the event. Click here to access the report.