The world is moving to net-zero. Is your company ready to make the transition?
Get started setting ambitious, science-based emissions targets
Businesses have a critical role to play in the transition to a sustainable, climate-safe future. Robust and coherent emission reduction targets grounded in science can ensure their actions lead to the transformation we need. We are witnessing how corporate leaders are shifting gears and aligning strategies with a 1.5°C trajectory, because it makes business sense to do so.
The Climate Ambition Accelerator is a six-month accelerator programme for companies participating in the United Nations Global Compact who are looking to make progress towards setting science-based emissions targets and create a clear path to address their organization’s transition to net-zero.
Led by the United Nations Global Compact with support from Patrons Ørsted and Natura & Co, and sponsored by En+ Group, the Climate Ambition Accelerator aims to scale-up credible climate action across companies of all sizes, sectors, and regions, enabling them to deliver on meaningful commitments to reduce emissions at scale. The Climate Ambition Accelerator builds on the UN Global Compact’s work to develop and promote the Science Based Targets initiative, Business Ambition for 1.5°C campaign, the UN Global Compact Action Platform on Climate Ambition, and will contribute to initiatives such as the Race to Zero campaign.
Why join the Climate Ambition Accelerator?
Perhaps your company has not yet set emissions reduction targets, or you’ve created targets without using the science-based targets methodology and feel overwhelmed by the technical requirements involved. No matter where companies are in their sustainability journey, the Climate Ambition Accelerator will equip them with the knowledge and skills they need to accelerate progress towards setting science-based emissions targets aligned with the 1.5°C pathway.
Through the Global Compact Local Networks around the world, participating companies will gain access to global best practices, peer-to-peer learning opportunities, technical capacity building sessions and online self-learning modules. Participants benefits include:
- Learn how to set science-based emission reduction targets to achieve net-zero by 2050.
- Motivate investors, leadership, employees, and shareholders with an emission reduction plan that sets your organization apart in the market.
- Gain a clear understanding of the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) and the net-zero concept, including methodologies, requirements, processes, benefits, and applicability.
- Hear from peers and share insights in group sessions.
- Take advantage of on-demand learning that enables you to work at your own pace.
- Get access to industry experts and networking opportunities.
- Benefit from local delivery combined with global insights and best practices.
What will you gain?
Participants will learn:
- The methodology and approach of science-based targets (SBT) setting.
- The foundational knowledge needed to set a solid strategy towards ambitious science-based targets.
- How to drive climate change ambition internally and build internal buy-in and engagement for ambitious climate action at the management and board level.
- How to manage their global emissions and the different emission reduction strategies and initiatives that they can implement to meet ambitious targets.
- How to reduce scope 1 and 2 emissions and engage their value chain to reduce indirect emissions (scope 3 emissions).
The programme is split into two tracks (Basic and Advanced) for companies at different stages in their sustainability journey. Each track consists of the same three modules and are tailored for the different audiences.
Target audience: SMEs or companies with none/basic knowledge about climate-related metrics, targets, and the SBTi.
- 5 Self-Learning Sessions
- 1 Peer-to-Peer Learning Sessions
- 3 Facilitated Learning Sessions
- 3 Global Sessions
Target audience: Companies with reasonable/advanced knowledge about climate-related targets, and the SBTi.
- 5 Self Learning Sessions
- 1 Peer-to-Peer Learning Session
- 2 Facilitated Sessions
- 3 Global Sessions
- Company registration: 22 April – 21 June 2021
- Programme begins: 22 June 2021
- Programme ends: December 2021
INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING?
The UK Network will be delivering this programme at the local level with support from UN Global Compact Network Netherlands, and therefore a limited number of companies will be invited to join from the Netherlands Network. Registration for this year’s Climate Ambition Accelerator has now closed but we will be running the programme again in 2022. If you would like to register your interest in next year’s programme, please contact Robert Mitton.
- A business Participant or Signatory of the UN Global Compact.
- Currently engaged with the UN Global Compact Local Network’s UK or Netherlands, or willing to join.
- Interested in setting ambitious reduction targets aligned with climate science at the pace and scale required to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement.
- Willing to appoint two representatives (one primary and one alternate representative) to participate in the accelerator activities and events. Ideally, the representative will be responsible for GHG emissions accounting, management and/or reporting (i.e., from Sustainability or Environmental departments).
- Willing to appoint an executive-level representative to follow accelerator developments, provide support, and participate in high-level events.
Cost of joining:
- The Basic Track is free of charge.
- Free for: UK Network members at the Participant Engagement Tier.
- £350+VAT for: UK Network members at the Signatory Engagement Tier.
- £250+VAT for: Netherlands Network members at both Engagement Tiers.
Disclaimer: Due to the nature of this programme, there is a limit to the number of participants that can join each track. Please note that registration may close early if capacity is reached.