Global Goals Programme
About the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
In September 2015, all 193 Member States of the United Nations adopted a plan for achieving a better future for all — laying out a path over the next 15 years to end extreme poverty, fight inequality and injustice, and protect our planet. At the heart of “Agenda 2030” are the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) which clearly define the world we want, applying to all nations and leaving no one behind. The SDGs, also known as the Global Goals, provide a powerful vision for improving our world, they motivate ambitious and transformational action, and call for worldwide collaboration between governments, businesses, and civil society.
The SDGs are a useful tool that the UN Global Compact Network UK uses to advance its own objectives around charitable sustainable development, including in particular the preservation of the environment and conservation of resources, the relief of poverty and the promotion of sustainable means of achieving economic growth.
The SDGs reflect a shared objective and ambition across all countries to end poverty and hunger everywhere, to combat inequalities within and among countries, to build peaceful, just, and inclusive societies, to protect human rights and promote gender equality of women and girls, and to ensure a lasting protection of the planet and its natural resources.
The SDGs are supported by 169 targets and 232 indicators enabling us to prioritise, drive, and track our progress. With 2030 fast approaching, urgent and ambitious action is needed for the world to succeed in delivering on these Global Goals.
There has never been a better time for business to take action to support the SDGs. The Global Goals specifically call on business to leverage their resources, creativity, and innovative capabilities to solve sustainable development challenges. Investing in the SDGs will not only build a sustainable society, but also help the private sector meet the growing demands by stakeholders and investors for corporate sustainability action. By working to support the achievement of the SDGs, each company is recognising that investment in the achievement of the Global Goals lays down the foundation for the business successes of the future.
To create real positive impacts for the Global Goals, business must take action in a way that is responsible, intentional, ambitious, and aligned with core business. The Ten Principles of the United Nations Global Compact provide a universal language for corporate responsibility understood by thousands of companies around the world. The Ten Principles is a framework that helps businesses to understand how to operate, the Global Goals are an ambitious vision of what a business’s activities should work to achieve. If every company everywhere fully integrated the Ten Principles we would be well on our way to achieving the SDGs by 2030.
The UN Global Compact Network UK's Global Goals Programme supports businesses to better understand the Global Goals and embed them in everything they do. Our programme delivers a range of activities throughout the year for both members and the wider business community to advance the aspects of the SDGs that reflect charitable sustainable development. Find out about the support we offer below.
Getting Started with the Global Goals:
- Getting Started webinars: These webinars provide practical guidance on how to engage with the SDGs. Starting with an overview of the SDGs, the webinars then explore how business can benefit from aligning with the Global Goals, and three tools that can help you on your SDG journey. Each webinar is joined by a company who shares their experience and advice on getting started with the SDGs.
- SDG Integration webinars: The SDG Integration webinar series provides a step-by-step guide on how your business can set targets, integrate, and report on the SDGs.
- Visit our SDG Tools and Resources page for more resources on getting started with the SDGs.
Connecting with others to take action on the SDGs:
- Making Global Goals Local Business (MGGLB): Our Making Global Goals Local Business Roadshow is our annual series of place-based events that provide an opportunity for you to connect with like-minded sustainability professionals and practitioners in your local community and explore practical action to align your organisation with the SDGs.
- Global Goals Working Group: The Global Goals Working Group brings UN Global Compact Network UK members together with experts and peers to have frank and honest discussions about the challenges and opportunities with delivering the Global Goals, to share best practices, and to brainstorm ideas on how to take further action on the SDGs.
- Find out more about joining the UN Global Compact Network UK for further opportunities to connect with others taking action on the Global Goals.
Reporting on the SDGs
- Business Reporting on the SDGs: Hosted in partnership with GRI and PwC, as part of our Responsible Business & SDGs Summit 2021, this webinar introduces three guides that can help companies with reporting on the Global Goals. The webinar also includes a case study from Vodafone, who share their experience with integrating and reporting on the SDGs.
- Visit our SDG Tools and Resources page to find further resources on business reporting on the SDGs.
Advancing the Global Goals through Innovative Solutions, Partnerships, & Ambitious Actions
- The SDG Innovation Accelerator for Young Professionals (formerly YSIP): The SDG Innovation Accelerator for Young Professionals trains the next generation of changemakers in intrapreneurship skills to help innovate current business models and unlock new business opportunities.
- SDG Ambition: The SDG Ambition Programme challenges companies in setting corporate targets and accelerate the integration of the SDGs into core business management.
- SDG Pioneers: The SDG Pioneer is an annual award that recognises a UK-based pioneer whose work and commitment towards driving sustainability has positively contributed to the SDGs and Agenda 2030.
- Visit our SDG Tools and Resources page to find more tools and resources on the SDGs.
National Progress on the SDGs
- SDG Advocacy Working Group: This Working Group – open to all member and external stakeholders – focuses on advocacy for the Global Goals and explores opportunities to influence the Government’s activities on the SDGs while providing a platform for open conversations about the opportunities and challenges in advancing Agenda 2030.
- Visit our SDG Tools and Resources to read the latest publications on the UK’s progress on the Global Goals.